I can into Sweden!

I came to Sweden three weeks ago tomorrow, from this blog post. June the 29th. Feels like just yesterday. I've put off blogging about this because I just don't know what to say yet. I'll just go at this from whatever pops into my head and hope it forms a coherent blog post.

First up, Sweden is cool. Literally and figuratively. The weather was awesome and sunny when I got here but it's gotten a lot colder and rainier since. That's good, I like rain. Was even thundering a little too - I haven't heard thunder in many many years!

It's going to take me a lot of time to get used to everything here. It's all the little things that are completely different to back in UK that keep throwing me off. Even the light switches are opposite :( It's also kinda weird hearing Swedish everywhere. I feel like I sometimes know what people are talking about but never what they're saying. I'm picking it up slowly, I think.

My new apartment is awesome. It's huge, very roomy, and just all around great. It feels empty though. I'm sure that will change when Ola gets here :) It has pretty cool internet, 16Mbps down when I'm lucky, but it disconnects very frequently (like every 15 mins or so). Very annoying. I have to get a new router because this one isn't wireless, and if it happens with the new one I'll see about yelling at people to fix it. I also has a TV which is cool, but not that many channels and they're all in Swedish. Oh well, something to learn from!

Mojang is fantastic, the office is huge and looks very nice. The people are all nice and just cool, I like it here. Settling in nicely and stuff. Very much enjoying Gaming Fridays ;D

Today is mine & Ola's 2 year anniversary (of being together). It is a shame we couldn't spend it together in person but that doesn't matter, she'll be here next week! It's hard to believe it's been 2 years, it's all just gone by so quickly. Well, you know what they say, "time flies when you're having fun with someone you love". Or something like that. Paraphrasing here.

Next week we'll be releasing the preview build of Minecraft 1.3. Very exciting and scary at the same time. Unfortunately we'll be releasing it on the date that Ola comes here, and I want that day off for obvious reasons, so I probably won't witness the release but hopefully there shouldn't be any major issues that need fixing! :D

My stuff from UK won't arrive until early August. Kinda sucks, but what can I do. I have myself a craptop at the moment to interwebs with, but the lack of mouse and its love of melting my leg makes it not so suitable for gaming - which sucks, since it's the steam summer sales! :( I have to go find a store that sells a decent mouse. I've considered just buying a new laptop built for gaming too, until my PC gets here, but I'm never home to accept delivery so that wouldn't work out so well - plus it'd only be for a few weeks, so eh...

It also turns out that I will be going to PAX this year! Very cool. I've never been before, but I'm looking forward to it! :D I'll be doing a Minecraft panel with Jens, Grum, Tahg and EvilSeph. It'll be streamed live, so that's quite scary... But apparently my last panel was too without me knowing it, so that helps a little!

And now I've ran out of things to talk about. Oh well. Ciao!

Comments

l0d1z
l0d1z on 07/19/2012 12:40 p.m. #

Most internet webshoppamajigs I know of
don't do home deliveries, they delvier to the nearest postal station( usually some nearby food shop ), then they send you either a text or a paper note detailing where you should pick your stuff up and stuff, so you don't have to be home to receive it.

Dinnerbone
Dinnerbone on 07/19/2012 12:48 p.m. #

Huh. Interesting. I had no idea!

JustBlah
JustBlah on 07/19/2012 1:11 p.m. #

Cool. And Ola is your wife?

donemanuel
donemanuel on 07/19/2012 1:12 p.m. #

Buy yourself Retina MacBook Pro, install Win7 over BootCamp and have most powerfull yet beautifull laptop in the world... Only 3k US Dollars ;)

DarthBo
DarthBo on 07/19/2012 1:13 p.m. #

Why not have it shipped to the Mojang offices instead of your home?

JustBlah
JustBlah on 07/19/2012 1:14 p.m. #

Oh, you just post answer in your tweet. Also, Ola it's Ukrainian or Russian name. Is she from one of this countries?

Dinnerbone
Dinnerbone on 07/19/2012 1:14 p.m. #

Fiancee! I proposed in November (http://dinnerbone.com/blog/2011/11/15/engage/) :D She's Polish :)

JustBlah
JustBlah on 07/19/2012 1:17 p.m. #

Almost right. It's near Ukraine ;)

v1sper
v1sper on 07/19/2012 1:19 p.m. #

Congrats to you and Ola! =)

Miss Marzenia
Miss Marzenia on 07/19/2012 2:12 p.m. #

Thanks guys! No, I am not Ukrainian and it is not close at all. We do have a border but our countries are not similar. Also Ola is not a Russian name at all. My name is Aleksandra (Sasha in Russian fyi), nick name for it is Ola. Now I know I will struggle with that in Sweden since the name Ola is actually male... Oh well. Call me Marzenia :P

Andrew
Andrew on 07/19/2012 2:23 p.m. #

Congratulations on moving to Sweden. When you say Ola is it pronounced the same way as hello in Spanish (Hola)?

John
John on 07/19/2012 5:45 p.m. #

Hey! And welcome to sweden =D
About the TV channels. I dont know what you have but i can watch BBC and BBC Knowledge. Call your TV distributor and ask them. they might have them... you never know =P

Chris
Chris on 07/19/2012 6:46 p.m. #

Check with a tv channel distributor in sweden, ask someone at mojang, they'll direct you. we do have discovery, animal planet, bbc, and all their sub-channels.

which are spoken english and subbed swedish.

JustBlah
JustBlah on 07/20/2012 10:41 p.m. #

Okey, but it is a lot of girls from Ukraine and Russia with name Ol'ga (?????), shortly - Ol'a (???). And Alexandra, or simply Sasha too. Also, it is male name Alexandr or Sasha, which simillial to female name.

Miss Marzenia
Miss Marzenia on 07/21/2012 5:08 p.m. #

JutBlah: Olga is not Ola. I don't care what it is in Ukraine. Aleksander is just a male version of my name. Its still Olek in Polish...
Andrew: Yes!

PrincessJaibyrd
PrincessJaibyrd on 07/23/2012 6:57 p.m. #

Happy Birthday, Enjoy Stockholm.

hawkfalcon
hawkfalcon on 07/24/2012 8:34 p.m. #

Unrelated:
Look at this!

PReP
PReP on 07/26/2012 11:43 a.m. #

Welcome to sverige or so.

It might not feel like it right now, but as the swedish grows on you, you will notice that our languages does not differ all too much - atleast that is my feeling as a language geek (sort of) :)

Happy post-anniversary, feel free to "consume your love" and let the bugs rest for a bit, i hear you work your friggin' arse off for us already :)

Oh, and start to optimize minecraft for your craptop, and everything above will burst out awesome amounts of fps.. but yeah, it doesn't quite work that way i know :p

Cheers, och ha det bra :)

/PReP, Marcus C.

TeB1996
TeB1996 on 07/30/2012 5:10 p.m. #

Hey Dinnebone, my mome moved to norway from the uk aswell the TV problem is easy to fix just get a skye box hooked up and give one of your uk friends address and you will have all the english channels :)

Caito
Caito on 07/30/2012 5:25 p.m. #

Ola is a guy's name in Sweden, so i loled when i saw she was your fiancee. At first I thought it was your roommate or something. Also about the TV. Watch channels 3, 6, 5, 8, 9 and 11 if you want non Swedish. Mostly american though, but they are in English so yeah. Hope you ahve a good time!

BAI1
BAI1 on 07/30/2012 6:33 p.m. #

I read your story and think to myself that you are going to enjoy yourself there and be happy there.

When Ola gets there you will be very happy, and it will seem like no time until your stuff gets there.

As for the MC 1.3 update, I am looking forward to testing all the hard work you and the rest of Mojang put into the game which sells because of the hard work people put into it and maintain it.

Hope you settle nicely, as you seem to be doing right now.
BAI1